Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Police are Above the Law

Warning: This is biased. And is another car/road/traffic/accident story.

This week in my town of Provo, Utah, a 45 year old man was hit and killed while walking on a crosswalk by a 18 year veteran police officer driving a marked SUV.

I understand it's hard to see at night. I understand Roy Wayne Taylor might have been drunk. I understand it was probably Roy's fault. (I also understand UHP trooper Preston Rabin might have been a little careless, too.) I understand the trooper was supposedly going the speed limit of 35 mph. (Don't believe it btw) And I understand, that regardless of the circumstances, pedestrians always have the right of way when it comes to traffic situations.

What I am having a hard understanding is why Officer Rabin was given a PAID WEEK'S VACATION because he hit and killed a pedestrian. Anyone else would've been charged with involuntary manslaughter, or some other ridiculous crime. Police officers are suppose to be the best drivers on the road. This is the 3rd police officer wreck I've heard about in the past 2 months! I saw a three car pile up a block west of University Ave. a week before Christmas with a police paddy-wagon in the middle of the intersection. Something is wrong with the policing in Provo.

It's not fair. Police officers are not above the law. They exist only to enforce it and regulate it. I'm sorry the police officer made a mistake. I feel bad for the family and Officer Rabin, but point-blank, Officer Rabin made a mistake. Punishment is not a paid week's vacation.

5 comments:

Danna said...

i agree.

Lauren said...

Same thing happening here in Charlottesville. Police officer knocked a guy out of his wheelchair. Another police officer almost hit a couple, then when they yelled at him, he got out of his car and arrested them. Idiots.

Lauren said...

(the cops, not the people are idiots, btw)

Josh Titus said...

Yeah, that is ridiculous. I understand police need to maintain the peace, but I think holding themselves higher than the law is unfair. It's unrighteous dominion.

Anonymous said...

Wayne was my uncle, he was living with us at the time. I don't hold any fault to the officer that killed him. In fact it worked out better for Wayne, he had a shitty life and had been going nowhere for 20 years.